2020 Powerboat Class:
May 16-17, 2020, all day, at the Kingman Yacht Club Clubhouse.
The tuition is $200 for students over 18, and $150 for students age 12-18. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This 16-hour hands-on, on-the-water course is for anyone who wants to learn how to safely operate a small motorboat and improve their boathandling skills. No previous experience is required! The US Coast Guard and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) have approved this course and MA recognizes it as meeting their requirements for a State Boating Education Certificate.
These national and state approvals call for the course to include a total of six to eight hours of classroom sessions covering required education topics.
- Engine & electrical systems
- Starting procedures
- Leaving & returning to a slip
- Close-quarters maneuvers
- Steering a range
- Proceeding to a destination
- Person in Water rescue
- Safety, preparation & weather
- Maneuvering concepts
- Registration & capacities
- Equipment requirements
- Preparation & fueling procedures
- Navigation rules of the road
- Aids to navigation
- Environment regulations
- No powerboating experience necessary.
- Passing the class requires successful completion of on the water skills plus two multiple choice exams, which require studying and memorization.
- Minimum age 12, no maximum age.
Certification(s) Earned after passing exams:
- US Sailing/US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling Certificate (NASBLA Approved)
- MA State Boating Education Card
How to Sign Up: Contact email@example.com to enroll!